Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, the Goshen Scout Reservation is home to 5 resident (overnight) summer camps; 3 Scouts BSA (serving youth ages 11 – 18), 1 Webelos and Arrow of Light (serving youth ages 9 – 11), and 1 High Adventure Base (serving youth ages 13 – 20). Goshen Scout Reservation’s mission is to provide exceptional outdoor program opportunities for all members of the scouting community, and in doing so, will attract the very best camp staff and organize world class programs that always exceed our customer’s expectations.
The Health Lodge Assistant is responsible to the Health Lodge Director for assistance in the operation of all health and safety at the Goshen Scout Reservation. The Health Lodge Assistant will work with the Health Lodge Director to respond to and manage medical emergency situations, and will work to ensure campers enjoy a safe and healthy camp experience.
- Under the direction of the Health Lodge Director, provide health care that meets the needs of campers and staff. Work with the Goshen Scout Reservation Director to coordinate off-site treatment for those who require it.
- Respond to camp emergencies, including in backcountry areas.. Provide medical care as needed. Notify the Goshen Scout Reservation Director immediately when a medical situation is likely to lead to the activation of non-camp Emergency Medical Services (911).
- Must be physically able to navigate rocky and uneven terrain and travel on foot while carrying emergency medical equipment in the event of a backcountry emergency.
- Assist with administrative and operational responsibilities, including assistance in completion of incident reports, maintaining the master daily sick and injury log, and maintaining first aid and safety supplies in the Health Lodge and camp First Aid rooms.
- Assist in the coverage of the Health Lodge in the absence of the Health Lodge Director.
- Assist in the training of camp staff on their role in medical situations and procedures, as well as proper sanitation of camp supplies and facilities.
- Work in conjunction with the Health Lodge Director, Health Lodge Volunteers, Council Physician, local emergency services and local hospital.
- Establish a good relationship with campers, leaders, and staff.
- Assist in the set up and tear down of Health Lodge and First Aid room facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
The onsite management of health and safety at the Goshen Scout Reservation will be from June 8 – August 6, 2024, based on registration.
The Health Lodge Assistant reports to the Health Lodge Director with individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the camp administration, local EMS, the Reservation Superintendent and Camp Rangers, Camp Staff, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to register as a member of the BSA and submit to a background check. Must complete all Youth Protection Training courses and adhere to incident reporting guidelines.
- Must hold a valid certification for one of the following: Emergency medical technician (basic or intermediate), Paramedic, Licensed physician assistants, Nurse (RN, LPN, or LVN), Licensed nurse practitioner, or Licensed physician.
- Preferred, but not required to hold or be willing to obtain Mental Health First Aid for Youth (MESH) certification, a eight hour training course, prior to the start of the summer season.
- Current certification in Wilderness First Aid (American Red Cross, SOLO, or equivalent) preferred, but not required.
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $500.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board that is provided is in addition to this salary. Compensation includes all pre-season preparation and post season closing reports, including all training that may be necessary for the successful execution of the position. This position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.