Lenhok’sin High Adventure is a High Adventure Base located at the Goshen Scout Reservation in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Goshen, VA. Operated by National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scout of America, Lenhok’sin offers week long backpacking and canoeing treks. Aquatics programs take place on 450-acre Lake Merriweather and feature recreational programs on swimming, kayaking, and paddle boarding. For more information, visit www.gotogoshen.org/lenhoksin.
The Mountain Man Outpost Assistant is responsible to the Mountain Man Outpost Director for assistance in the coordination of historical programing at the Lenhok’sin High Adventure Mountain Man Outpost at Goshen Scout Reservation in accordance with the policies and standards of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and National Capital Area Council (NCAC). The Mountain Man Outpost staff are responsible for interpreting the history of the Appalachian backcountry by portraying the lives of 1830s fur trappers and traders. The Mountain Man Range Assistant resides at the Mountain Man outpost in interpretive dress, while assisting in the operation of a muzzleloading and tomahawk throwing program.
- Assist the Mountain Man Director in the operation and maintenance of a .50 caliber black powder muzzleloader program and range.
- Enforce the safety regulations of the BSA and NRA.
- Instruct campers in marksmanship skills outlined by the BSA, NRA, and Goshen Scout Reservation.
- Report inadequacies in inventory and equipment to the Mountain Man Director.
Immediately report any individuals who refuse to follow the safety regulations to the Mountain Man Director.
- At the direction and supervision of the Camp Director, participate in the specialized program training during staff training week.
- Become thoroughly familiar with all information relative to the program specialty, so you can answer questions and deliver a stimulating and informative program of consistently high quality.
- Portray the life of 1830s fur trappers and traders in a historically accurate manner, presenting homesteading techniques correctly,, and share the history and culture in a professional manner.
- Assist with outpost camp chores – cooking, cleaning shared staff spaces, cleaning showers and latrines, checking in crews, checking trails and trail camps.
- Exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. Support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting. Strive to provide a program that is exciting, dynamic and appealing to today’s youth; that meets the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that is fun and safe.
- Support and participate in camp wide programs, as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Camp Director.
June 15 to July 30, 2024, based on registration.
The Mountain Man Assistant reports to the Mountain Man Director, and will work collaboratively with individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the camp administration, camp staff, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Be at least 16 years of age. 18 years of age preferred.
- Must be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America, or willing to become registered.
- Be physically able to act quickly in emergencies, effectively communicate, and clearly understand oral and written communications.
- Possess leadership and managerial capabilities and have a high degree of personal integrity and dependability.
- Willing to complete a variety of other BSA trainings (included but not limited to Youth Protection Training and Weather Hazards).
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $209.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board that is provided is in addition to this salary. CThis position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.