Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, the Goshen Scout Reservation is home to 5 resident (overnight) summer camps; 3 Scouts BSA (serving youth ages 11 – 18), 1 Webelos and Arrow of Light (serving youth ages 9 – 11), and 1 High Adventure Base (serving youth ages 13 – 20). Goshen Scout Reservation’s mission is to provide exceptional outdoor program opportunities for all members of the scouting community, and in doing so, will attract the very best camp staff and organize world class programs that always exceed our customer’s expectations.
The Reservation Chaplain is responsible to the Assistant Reservation Director for the coordination of chapel services and counseling needs of all camp participants and staff.
- In cooperation with the Assistant Reservation Director and Camp Directors, work to develop a “Worship Services” plan that meets the religious objectives of the faith and individual needs of guests at Goshen Scout Reservation camps that are within the generally recognized parameters and capabilities of Goshen Scout Reservation and the Boy Scouts of America.
- Coordinate with Camp Staff to offer interfaith worship services as the schedule permits. Assist in planning and be prepared to sometimes lead.
- Share information about the Duty to God program as sponsored at the Goshen Scout Reservation.
- Be present and work in cooperation with the Health Lodge Director and staff, when necessary, for emergencies and spiritual counseling relating to the entire camp community, including campers and staff.
- Assist with administrative and operational responsibilities, including assistance in completion of incident reports.
- Act as a roving public relations ambassador for the Goshen Scout Reservation and National Capital Area Council and provide customer feedback to camp leadership.
- In a medical emergency, the Chaplain may be called upon to accompany an injured camper or staff member to the hospital.
- Assist in the set-up and teardown of camp facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Attend and complete Mental Health First Aid for Youth Training by MESH, an 8-hour training course held in Spring 2024, prior to the start of the summer season.
The onsite duties will be from June 8 – August 6, 2024, based on registration.
The Reservation Chaplain reports to the Assistant Reservation Director and will work collaboratively with the internal and external individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the NCAC Camping Department, the administrative, and medical personnel at Camp Post, Camp Directors at the Goshen Scout Reservation camps, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to register as a member of the BSA and submit to a background check. Must complete all Youth Protection Training courses and adhere to incident reporting guidelines.
Be a recognized clergyman, seminarian, or lay representative by their own faith (preferred, not required).
- Must hold or be willing to obtain a Mental Health First Aid for Youth certification from MESH, an 8-hour course, prior to the start of the summer season. The cost of training and travel/lodging will be covered by NCAC.
- The position requires living onsite for the duration of the summer camping season. Housing is provided in the form of a private room with a shared restroom within the GSR Health Lodge facility. Most meals are provided during the duration of the summer camp.
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $500.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board is provided in addition to this salary. This position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to Apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.