Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, the Goshen Scout Reservation is home to 5 resident (overnight) summer camps; 3 Scouts BSA (serving youth ages 11 – 18), 1 Webelos and Arrow of Light (serving youth ages 9 – 11), and 1 High Adventure Base (serving youth ages 13 – 20). Goshen Scout Reservation’s mission is to provide exceptional outdoor program opportunities for all members of the scouting community, and in doing so, will attract the very best camp staff and organize world class programs that always exceed our customer’s expectations.
The Provisional Scoutmaster leads a provisional unit and acts as a Scoutmaster for scouts who are attending camp without their home unit. The Provisional Scoutmaster motivates these scouts to reach their camp goals and advocates for their needs. The Provisional Scoutmaster facilitates the “troop based program” while scouts are in their campsite and assists them in all aspects of their camp experience. This position may act as a liaison between the scout and their home unit/parent. The Provisional Scoutmaster reports to the Camp Director at Camp Marriott.
- Facilitate the patrol method and group development to ensure smooth provisional unit operation.
- Give provisional unit scouts the advice and tools to succeed in accomplishing goals, move forward in rank advancement, earn merit badges, perform service projects, and participate in camp program opportunities.
- Advocate for the needs of the provisional unit scouts with regards to dietary concerns, medications and health concerns, preparation for camp activities, and campsite equipment.
- With camp leadership, communicate with scouts’ parent/guardian(s) and home unit leaders.
- Based on interest, may teach or assist part-time in camp program in a program area or help camp commissioner staff part-time with maintenance and conservation projects around camp.
- Coordinate and work collaboratively with Camp Marriott Administration staff in the coordination of programs and activities, including camp wide activities, flag ceremonies, campfires, and service projects.
- Write suggested changes, updates, opportunities, and program adjustments for the upcoming year.
- Develop and maintain a program that imparts useful knowledge, that supports the aims and objectives of the Boy Scouts of America, and that is fun, challenging and safe.
- Exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. Support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting. Strive to provide programs that are exciting, dynamic and appealing to today’s youth; that meet the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that are fun and safe.
- Other duties as assigned by the Camp Marriott Administration Team.
- June 8 – July 30, 2024, based on registration.
The Provisional Scoutmaster reports to Camp Director and will work collaboratively with individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the camp administration, food service and kitchen staff, Camp Staff, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to register as a member of the BSA and submit to a background check. Must complete all Youth Protection Training courses and adhere to incident reporting guidelines.
- Must hold or be willing to obtain American Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED. The cost of training will be covered by NCAC.
- Familiarity with the BSA Program is preferred, but not required,
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $320.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board that is provided is in addition to this salary. Compensation includes all pre-season preparation and post season closing reports, including all training that may be necessary for the successful execution of the position. This position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.