Shenandoah Area Council, BSA, is seeking qualified candidates for 2024 seasonal summer camp leadership roles at Camp Rock Enon Scout Reservation including Camp Director and Program Director positions. Located in the northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Camp Rock Enon operates for six weeks (plus staff planning weeks) beginning in June through the end of July and offers programs for both Cub Scout and Scouts BSA youth. These positions work closely with the Shenandoah Area Council staff during the “off-season” to plan and organize the summer camp program, in addition to interview and hire staff and promotion of the summer camp program. Must have good interpersonal skills. Must be a self-starter who enjoys challenges, and problem solving. Having an adventurous spirit and desire to have a positive life changing impact on the youth of our communities is essential. Must exemplify the Scout Oath and Law; support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting; Strive to provide a program that is exciting, dynamic, and appealing to today’s youth; that meets the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that is fun and safe.
Reports to: Outdoor Program & Facilities Director, Scout Executive/CEO
Salary: $600.00 – 1,000.00/week (depending on experience) + room & board
- Responsible and mature adult of at least 21 years of age
- Must be a registered member of Boy Scouts of America, or willing to become registered.
- Previous camp staff experience preferred.
- Must be able to work with Council staff to plan, organize, hire staff, and promote camp during the “off-season” prior to camp opening.
- Must be willing to complete training necessary for position prior to arrival at camp. (paid by Council)
- National Camp School
- First Aid/CPR
- Serve Safe Food Manager
- BSA Youth Protection
- Unlawful Harassment
- Hazardous Weather
- Lives on camp property during Summer Camp Season
- Financially minded
- Must be able to work well with customers, volunteers, and staff throughout the camp.
- Must have the ability to identify, respond and provide leadership to environmental and other hazards and be physically able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, injury, illness) and to notify the Outdoor Program & Facility Director and Scout Executive
- Overall management and safe operation of the summer camp
- Serves as an information source on the Summer camp programs, activities, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with Camp Leader’s guide development
- Staff hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation.
- Work with Program Director and Area Directors to plan the Merit Badge and other program schedules.
- Work with Program Director to organize camp staff meetings and training prior to the summer camp season.
- Ensure that the camp meets all applicable BSA National Standards and federal, state, and local codes.
- Ensure that all preparations are complete for the NCAP Visitation team by the scheduled dates and be a key part of the Standards review process.
- Manage the camp operating budget.
- Receive and/or account for all accounts receivable.
- Purchase supplies as needed from authorized vendors.
- Maintain a petty cash system.
- Management, training and supervision of the Support Services and staff including.
- Trading Post
- Supervise sales and inventory of the Camp Trading Post.
- Receipts counted and logged in daily.
- Food Service Areas (kitchen & dining hall)
- Oversee the management and ordering of inventory.
- Health Lodge
- “Commissioner” staff
- “CIT program” and staff
- other support service areas
- Work with the Camp Ranger(s) to ensure all facilities and program areas are prepared and maintained throughout the summer.
- Oversee the Unit check-in and check-out process.
- Acts as liaison between Units, Camp Staff and Council
- Provides immediate help in solving Unit problems in camp.
- Generating and tabulating weekly survey results
- Other duties as assigned by the Outdoor Program & Facility Director and/or Scout Executive for the successful operation of camp.
Camp Rock Enon Scout Reservation is nestled in the northwestern tip of Virginia, an easy 20-minute drive west of Winchester, VA and just minutes away from West Virginia. This traditional style Scout Camp offers Summer camp programs for Scouts of all ages with sessions for Cubs in grades 1st – 3rd (Tigers, Wolf & Bear), Webelos & AOL Scouts in grades 4th & 5th and Scouts BSA (age 11-18). We offer resident, day-only and provisional opportunities for all programs. Our 900 acres of majestic forest provide an unlimited supply of opportunities to make your stay at CRE an experience of a lifetime. Scouts learn and explore as they seek the adventures only a summer camp experience can provide including Shooting Sports, Aquatics, Outdoor Skills, Handicraft, STEAM and Ecology programs. Camp Rock Enon has the BEST rock climbing and rappelling offered at a Scout Camp on the Mid Atlantic Coast. No climbing towers here! Our natural rock faces are one of the major attractions for Scouts looking for a real-life challenge.
If you think you have what it takes to be a successful camp director, we want to talk to you.
To apply for this job please visit www.sac-bsa.org.