Shenandoah Area Council, BSA, is seeking qualified candidates for 2024 seasonal summer camp leadership roles at Camp Rock Enon Scout Reservation including Program Director positions. Located in the northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Camp Rock Enon operates for six weeks (plus staff planning weeks) beginning in June through the end of July and offers programs for both Cub Scout and Scouts BSA youth. These positions work closely with the Shenandoah Area Council professional staff during the “off-season” to plan and organize the summer camp program, in addition to interview and hire staff and promotion of the summer camp program. Must have good interpersonal skills. Must be a self-starter who enjoys challenges, and problem solving. Having an adventurous spirit and desire to have a positive life changing impact on the youth of our communities is essential. Must exemplify the Scout Oath and Law; support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting; Strive to provide a program that is exciting, dynamic, and appealing to today’s youth; that meets the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that is fun and safe.
Reports to: Camp Director and Outdoor Program & Facilities Director
Salary: $500.00 – 650.00/week (depending on experience) + room & board
· Responsible and mature adult of at least 21 years of age
· Ability to delegate
· Must be a registered member of Boy Scouts of America, or willing to become registered.
· Previous camp staff experience preferred.
· Must be able to work with Council staff to plan, organize, hire staff, and promote camp during the “off-season” prior to camp opening.
· Must be willing to complete training necessary for position prior to arrival at camp. (paid by Council)
o National Camp School
o First Aid/CPR
o BSA Youth Protection
o Unlawful Harassment
o Hazardous Weather
· Lives on camp property during Summer Camp Season
· Financially minded
· Must be able to work well with customers, volunteers, and staff throughout the camp.
· Must have the ability to identify, respond and provide leadership to environmental and other hazards and be physically able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, injury, illness)
· Assist Camp Director with management and safe operation of the summer camp.
· Assist Camp Director with the training and supervision of staff.
· All program related aspects of camp including, but not limited to, training and supervising program area staff
· Creating a high moral among Troops/Staff in camp
· Merit badge program
· Evening and extracurricular program activities
· Campfire and Dining Hall program
· Coordinating Specialty and High Adventure programs
· Assist with Camp Leader’s guide development.
· Assist with Staff hiring training, supervision, and evaluation.
· Assists with the development of camp programs including merit badge, extracurricular, evening, campfires, mealtime, camp-wide games, and activities
· Implements and manages the merit badge program activities
· Implements and manages the evening and extracurricular program activities
· Implements and manages the campfire and dining hall program
· Evaluate performance of program area staff
· Keep up to date program equipment inventory
· Work with Camp Director to organize camp staff meetings and training prior to the summer camp season.
· Ensure that the camp meets all applicable programs related to BSA National Standards and federal, state, and local codes.
· Ensure that all preparations are complete for the NCAP Visitation team by the scheduled dates and be a key part of the Standards review process.
· Operate summer camp programs and activities within the camp program budget.
o Purchase supplies as needed from authorized vendors.
· Management, training, and supervision of the program staff including climbing, aquatics, outdoor skills, handicraft, STEAM/Technology, Nature & Ecology, shooting sports and the 1st year camper program.
· Work with the Camp Ranger(s) to ensure all program areas are prepared and maintained throughout the summer.
· Assist with the Unit check-in and check-out process.
· Acts as liaison between Units, Camp Staff and Council
· Provides immediate help in solving Unit problems in camp.
· Lead daily Leader meetings.
· Manage the online records for merit badge completion and Unit level awards programs.
· Assist with generating and tabulating weekly survey results.
· Other duties as assigned by the Camp Director, Outdoor Program & Facility Director and/or Scout Executive for the successful operation of camp.
Camp Rock Enon Scout Reservation is nestled in the northwestern tip of Virginia, an easy 20-minute drive west of Winchester, VA and just minutes away from West Virginia. This traditional style Scout Camp offers Summer camp programs for Scouts of all ages with sessions for Cubs in grades 1st – 3rd (Tigers, Wolf & Bear), Webelos & AOL Scouts in grades 4th & 5th and Scouts BSA (age 11-18). We offer resident, day-only and provisional opportunities for all programs. Our 900 acres of majestic forest provide an unlimited supply of opportunities to make your stay at CRE an experience of a lifetime. Scouts learn and explore as they seek the adventures only a summer camp experience can provide including Shooting Sports, Aquatics, Outdoor Skills, Handicraft, STEAM and Ecology programs. Camp Rock Enon has the BEST rock climbing and rappelling offered at a Scout Camp on the Mid Atlantic Coast. No climbing towers here! Our natural rock faces are one of the major attractions for Scouts looking for a real-life challenge.
If you think you have what it takes to be a successful program director, we want to talk to you.
To apply for this job please visit www.sac-bsa.org.