The merit badge program at Camp Powhatan serves our Scouting youth for 5 weeks of Scouts BSA summer camp with high-quality merit badge instruction and program activities. Merit badge instructors are responsible for ensuring the safe and appropriate operation of all daily program instruction and activities. We have job opportunities for merit badge instructors across a breadth of program areas, primarily aquatics, scoutcraft, handicraft, nature, eagle’s nest, first-year camper, and shooting sports.
Merit badge instructors report to their corresponding Area Director.
- Attend staff training
- Work cohesively with fellow program instructors
- Deliver appropriate and effective merit badge instruction
- Maintain a safe environment for Scouts
- Uphold all related National Camp Accreditation Standards
- Communicate with unit leaders about Scout progress
- Maintain program facilities and equipment
- Other duties as assigned
Camp Powhatan will operate summer camp for the following weeks in 2024:
Week 1: June 16-22
Week 2: June 23-29
Week 3: June 30-July 6
Week 4: July 7-13
Week 5: July 14-20
Merit badge instructors will be required to assume responsibilities beginning on June 9 for staff training and development.
- Pay based on experience starting at $200/week
- On-site housing provided
- Meals provided
- One night off per week, 24-hour weekend release
- 15 years or older (preference for those 16 or older)
- Encouraged to have BSA CPR/First Aid certification
- Registered member of the BSA
- Experience working with youth
- Sufficient physical ability
Any questions or concerns about the position can be directed to:
Bethany Brownfield, Reservation Program Director
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.