About the job: Under the direction of the Camp Director the Head Cook is responsible for all meal planning and preparing, ordering and inventory, cleanliness, and organization of kitchen, and following state licensing compliance standards for each summer camp session and rental group during term of hire. We offer a very competitive salary.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Oversee operation of kitchen.
- Plan all summer camp and rental group menus according to the US Department of Health and Human Services/US Department of Agriculture, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005.
- Prepare all necessary meals and snacks for summer camp sessions and rental groups.
- Ensure compliance with local and state standards for licensing.
- Order and maintain inventory of food and supplies.
- Regularly check freshness of food and ingredients.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization throughout the kitchen.
- Follow proper sanitation and safety procedures.
- Assign and delegate tasks to kitchen assistants.
- Assist in recruitment, training, support, supervising, evaluating and providing continuing education for all kitchen assistants.
- Coordinate kitchen schedule with site staff schedule.
The Head Cook will register with the Boy Scouts of America and agree to promote the mission of the Boy Scouts of America and the Great Southwest Council. In addition, the Head Cook has a direct relationship with the camp ranger in terms of the kitchen facility and equipment. The camp’s emergency operations plan outlines the relationship between the camp health officer and the Head Cook and the ATV staff for emergency management and care.
- A person with strong organization and communication skills.
- A person with strong interpersonal relationship skills, comfortable with feedback and challenges, as well as an ability to interact with diverse groups of people and effectively meet their needs.
- A person flexible and focused, capable of making necessary adjustments.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- High school education or equivalent.
- Previous experience working in a kitchen and/or food industry required.
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- An ability to assess and communicate information to kitchen assistant/s, site staff, campers, and parents.
- An ability to work effectively in a team context, contributing to team process.
- Current ServSafe Certification.
- Willingness to live in a Camp setting or commute daily.
- The Head Cook is responsible for the safe operation of the camp’s commercial kitchen facility including food preparation and storage equipment and all safety equipment and supplies.
Physical Aspects of the Position:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to kitchen staff.
- Ability to observe Scout behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist Scouts in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org