About the job: Under the direction of the Camp Director the Trading Post Manager will assume a leadership role in the operation of the Camp’s retail store (Trading Post). They will take responsibility for the health, safety, and general welfare of the Scouts in the Trading post as well as the inventory and cash on hand. Implement procedures that enhance the quality of the retail operation and provide a safe, structured environment for the Scouts.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the Gorham Scout Ranch Trading Post.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to camp staff assigned to the Trading Post.
- Communicate effectively with other Camp Staff, Scouts, Unit Leaders, Parents and the Camp Director.
- Account for all assigned Scouts at all times.
- Follow the daily schedule.
- Maintain discipline and safety.
- Be positive, demonstrate enthusiasm and show engagement with Scouts at all times.
- Keep the camp director informed of all special programs and needs.
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
- Prepare an end of season report detailing remaining inventory, performance evaluations for the Trading Post staff, and the condition of equipment and facilities that need repair, replaced, or additional equipment needed.
The Trading Post Manager will register with the Boy Scouts of America and agree to promote the mission of the Boy Scouts of America and the Great Southwest Council. In addition, the Trading Post Manager has a direct relationship with the camp ranger in terms of facility and equipment. The Trading Post Manager also coordinates efforts between all the key program area directors such as Nature, Shooting Sports, Scoutcraft, Handicraft, and others. The camp’s emergency operations plan outlines the relationship between the camp health officer and the Trading Post Manager and the Trading Post staff for emergency management and care.
- The Trading Post Manager is 18 years of age or older with retail sales experience.
- CPR/First Aid/AED, training provided.
- Excellent people skills: ability to work with a wide variety of personalities.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work with other camp staff and adult volunteers.
- At least 1 year of camp experience, preferred.
The Trading Post Manager uses an electronic point of sale system to record sales and is responsible for the safe operation of the store.
Physical Aspects of the Position:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to Scouts and staff.
- Ability to observe Scout behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist Scouts in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of Scouts.
The position requires:
- Prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and inventory.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate Scout and staff activities/programs.
- Willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering program in the facility available.
- Ability to operate with daily exposure to various weather conditions.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com