Lenhok’sin High Adventure is a High Adventure Base located at the Goshen Scout Reservation in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Goshen, VA. Operated by National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scout of America, Lenhok’sin offers week long backpacking and canoeing treks. Aquatics programs take place on 450-acre Lake Merriweather and feature recreational programs on swimming, kayaking, and paddle boarding. For more information, visit www.gotogoshen.org/lenhoksin.
The Aquatics Director is responsible to the Camp Director for the coordination and operation of the aquatics programs at a Scouts BSA Resident Camp at Goshen Scout Reservation in accordance with the policies and standards of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and National Capital Area Council (NCAC). They provide leadership to approximately 1-2 seasonal staff members to deliver aquatics programs to units – youth members and their adult leadership.
- Supervise, train, and motivate the waterfront staff in all aquatics activities
- Offer a quality aquatics program to include paddle boarding, kayaking, and swimming.
- The maintenance, inventory, security, safety, and use of all aquatic equipment.
- Set-up and takedown of all camp aquatics facilities.
- Classify all campers according to their swimming ability during check-in and as needed throughout the camp period.
- Submit staff evaluations for aquatics staff as requested, and a written evaluation of all waterfront staff at the close of camp.
- Submit a complete inventory of all on-hand aquatics materials and equipment, to include the serviceable condition of each, and recommendations for replacement of those supplies needed for next year’s summer camp operation.
- Exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. Support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting. Strive to provide a program that is exciting, dynamic and appealing to today’s youth; that meets the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that is fun and safe.
- Support and participate in camp wide programs, as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Camp Director.
- The onsite management of the High Adventure Aquatics Area will be from June 8 – July 30, 2024, based on registration.
- Attend and complete American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, a two-day training course, prior to the start of the summer season and attendance at National Camping School.
- Attend and complete National Camping School Training, a week-long training course held in Spring 2024, prior to the start of the summer season.
The Aquatics Director reports to Camp Director and will work collaboratively with individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the camp administration, medical personnel at Camp Post, Camp Staff, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Preferred at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to register as a member of the BSA and submit to a background check. Must complete all Youth Protection Training courses and adhere to incident reporting guidelines.
- Must hold or be willing to obtain an Aquatics Instructor certification from the National Camping School, a week-long training course, prior to the start of the summer season. Multiple locations/dates are available to choose from. The cost of training and travel/lodging will be covered by NCAC.
- Must hold or be willing to obtain American Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers. The cost of training and travel/lodging will be covered by NCAC.
- Be physically able to act quickly in emergencies, effectively communicate, and clearly understand oral and written communications.
- Possess superb leadership and managerial capabilities and have a high degree of personal integrity and dependability.
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $275.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board that is provided is in addition to this salary. Compensation includes all pre-season preparation and post season closing reports, including all training that may be necessary for the successful execution of the position. This position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.