Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, the Goshen Scout Reservation is home to 5 resident (overnight) summer camps; 3 Scouts BSA (serving youth ages 11 – 18), 1 Webelos and Arrow of Light (serving youth ages 9 – 11), and 1 High Adventure Base (serving youth ages 13 – 20). Goshen Scout Reservation’s mission is to provide exceptional outdoor program opportunities for all members of the scouting community, and in doing so, will attract the very best camp staff and organize world class programs that always exceed our customer’s expectations.
The COPE and Climbing Director is responsible to the Camp Olmsted Camp Director for the coordination and operation of the aquatics programs at a Scouts BSA Resident Camp at Goshen Scout Reservation in accordance with the policies and standards of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and National Capital Area Council (NCAC). They provide leadership to approximately 2 to 4 seasonal staff members to deliver COPE and Climbing programs to units – youth members and their adult leadership.
- Supervise, train, and motivate the COPE and Climbing staff in all area activities.
- Offer quality COPE and Climbing programs, include merit badges, team building experiences, and open climbing programs.
- The maintenance, inventory, security, safety, and use of all COPE and Climbing Programs.
- Set-up and takedown of all camp COPE and Climbing facilities/elements.
- Oversee submission of all area advancement reports of all COPE and Climbing activities using computerized record keeping practices.
- Submit staff evaluations for COPE and Climbing staff as requested, and a written evaluation of all COPE and Climbing staff at the close of camp.
- Submit a complete inventory of all on-hand aquatics materials and equipment, to include the serviceable condition of each, and recommendations for replacement of those supplies needed for next year’s summer camp operation.
- Exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. Support Boy Scouts of America (BSA) policies and the Aims and Methods of Scouting. Strive to provide a program that is exciting, dynamic and appealing to today’s youth; that meets the needs of the youth and the units attending camp; and that is fun and safe.
- Support and participate in camp wide programs, as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Camp Director.
- The onsite management of the Scouts BSA COPE and Climbing programs will be from June 8 – July 30, 2024, based on registration.
- Attend and complete National Camping School Training, a week-long training course held in Spring 2024, prior to the start of the summer season.
The COPE and Climbing Director reports to Camp Director and will work collaboratively with individuals and groups including, but not limited to, the camp administration, medical personnel at Camp Post, food service and kitchen staff, Camp Staff, scout volunteers, and parents.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to register as a member of the BSA and submit to a background check. Must complete all Youth Protection Training courses and adhere to incident reporting guidelines.
- Must hold or be willing to obtain a COPE Director certification from the National Camping School, a week-long training course, prior to the start of the summer season. Multiple locations/dates are available to choose from. The cost of training and travel/lodging will be covered by NCAC.
- Be physically able to act quickly in emergencies, effectively communicate, and clearly understand oral and written communications.
The employee will be paid a seasonal salary starting at $350.00 per week for the duration of the summer season. All room and board that is provided is in addition to this salary. Compensation includes all pre-season preparation and post season closing reports, including all training that may be necessary for the successful execution of the position. This position is exempt from the minimum wage-maximum hours provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to apply: Apply online at www.gotogoshen.org/staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.gotogoshen.org.