• Must be at least 18 years of age by start of employment (21+ requirement, if applicable, will be noted below)
• Must become a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America at the start of employment and subscribe to
the Scout Oath, Scout Law, and Declaration of Religious Principles
• Must provide a complete and current BSA Annual Health and Medical Record to the Infirmary upon arrival
including review of risk advisory and immunization requirements
• Must maintain a clean, well-groomed appearance and be willing to purchase required uniform parts to meet
Philmont’s uniform policy
• Must participate in designated staff training
• Must adhere to the policies and programs set forth by Philmont Scout Ranch management
The Tooth of Time Traders is where the ultimate magic of Philmont comes to life through our gear, souvenirs and
snacks, and our clerks are vital to delivering customer service that offers a distinctive shopping experience and drives
sales results of over $3.5 million annually. While all positions within Philmont require working as part of a team to
meet department and ranch objectives, your individual responsibilities as a clerk include demonstrating outstanding
customer service and selling skills, keeping the selling floor clean and stocked with merchandise, or organizing the
selling floor and using Retail Pro, our point of sale system to complete transactions with various tenders.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents
such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
communicate with customers, peers, and management.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Ability to use a calculator and
calculate percentages and ratios. Must be able to make change in American monetary units.
• Ability to multi-task, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the needs of the store.
Ability to work as part of a team and take initiative independent of direct supervision.
• Enthusiastic, friendly, and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding service.
• Meet and make a connection with customers, ask questions, and listen to shoppers’ needs, then give options
and advice on meeting those needs.
2 of 3 PHILMONT SCOUT RANCH | POSITION DESCRIPTION
• Inspire the customer to buy, celebrate the purchase, and create a lasting positive impression of you,
Philmont, and the purchase.
• Maintain selling floor presentations, and restock them as needed
• Learn Philmont’s point of sale system, Retail Pro, and the procedures for sales, all tenders and returns.
• Assume accountability for all monies you handle.
• Balance cash registers with receipts.
• Handle all returns courteously and professionally.
• Maintain a professional attitude with sincerity and enthusiasm reflecting Philmont’s commitment to our
• Be knowledgeable of and perform sales support functions related to POS procedures.
• Ensure that fitting rooms are ready for customers by promptly clearing merchandise and returning it to the
proper area of the selling floor.
• Develop product knowledge by attending vendor clinics, passing tests, and reading current vendor tags and
pamphlets in order to communicate it to the customer.
• Advise customers on care and utilization of merchandise.
• Advise customers on any service or product they need information on.
• Maintain good housekeeping standards.
• Adhere to Loss Prevention and inventory control and compliance procedures.
• Assist with inventories, merchandising, and monies as assigned by the Manager.
• Complete assigned rotating shifts in base camp Cantina, including serving snacks, restocking, and maintaining
• Complete other duties as assigned by direct supervisor or ranch management as required
Desired Qualifications & Experience
• Must be 18 years of age by time of employment.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and ask for help when needed
• Ability to function well in a high-pace and at times stressful environment
• Supply chain/distribution/retail experience suggested
• Must be Certified Food Handler. You will be given a code to cover the cost of the class once you’ve been
hired. http://newmexico.foodhandlerclasses.com Click on the link to begin the training
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
• Must meet the BSA height/weight requirements
• Be able to lift and handle materials up to 70 pounds throughout the scheduled workday
• Up to 90% of the workday could be spent standing, walking, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing
ladders, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling packages on a continuous and repetitive basis throughout shift
• This position involves constant moving, conversing, listening, reaching, grabbing, and standing for at least
two consecutive hours.
To apply for this job please visit registerphilmont.org.