Reports to Program Director, Three Fires Council BSA
In collaboration with the Elgin School District U-46, the Three Fires Council has developed an outdoor summer enrichment program for 1st through 6th grade students. We are seeking educators and staff to work with children in part-time and full-time positions. This program operates June 5th to August 3rd, Monday through Thursday each week. There is a full day program from 9am to 4pm and an afternoon program from 1pm to 5pm.
As the Camp Director, you will lead your team of Educators and Camp Counselors in delivering a unique outdoor education experience for hundreds of students. Your goal is to create a safe and fun environment that fosters each individual student’s desire to learn in an outdoor classroom setting. The Camp Director will infuse their own creativity and talent into the development of every student in our program.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training staff.
• Oversee daily operations of camp while creating a highly organized and professional experience for staff and students.
• Supervise, support, and coach a staff of 20 – 30 members ensuring a positive experience for all.
• Assist in classes, providing support where needed, potentially leading classes or delivering program/curriculum.
• With assistance, help supervise a total program budget totaling over $200,000.
• Participate in lunch/snack delivery, check-in/check-out procedures, and opening and closing of daily camp activities.
• Ensure proper reporting of lunch and snack program is complete and submitted on time.
• Hold regular staff meetings, as needed, at the beginning and end of the program day.
• Ensure all staff and participants adhere to the guidelines set forth in the staff and participant code of conduct.
• Maintain a safe environment for campers and staff.
• Develop appropriate programming for youth participants including rainy day program.
• Provide list of required supplies needed and work with the Council support staff to secure materials needed.
• Adjust program as needed to meet circumstances that may arise.
• Follow up with questions/concerns from parents about program.
• Provide information to parents necessary related to behavior issues during program.
• Send regular communications through our registration software informing parents about schedule changes, program
Three Fires Council is committed to compensating staff competitively.
• The Camp Director will be compensated at a regular weekly salary starting at $1,000 per week.
• Pay is based on experience and qualifications.
• Summer staff positions are temporary, seasonal, non-benefited positions and do not include paid vacation time
• Potential for any dependent children within the age range of programming to attend camp for free
Hours and Dates
On an average day, camp check-in will begin at 8:30am and run through 3:30pm with check-out ending by 4:00pm. Camp
operates Monday through Thursday starting Monday, June 5th and ending Thursday, August 3rd. The camp will not operate on July
4th in observance of the National Holiday. Camp Staff training days will be May 30th – 31st and June 1st.
• Most staff will work from 8am – 4pm Monday through Thursday.
• Being a camp leadership position, it is expected to work before and after the start of the day as needed.
• Staff meetings: during regular work hours before or after the start of programming
• Training/setup day: participate in a mandatory training/setup day in the days before camp begins
• Camp cleanup: participate in cleaning and packing up camp for an additional 1-5 hours in your last week of camp, typically some additional hours at the end of the day.
• The Camp Director may work to send communications in the evenings as needed to update parents on changes to the next day’s schedules or programming.
The needs of camp and resulting staff hours may vary. We seek and make offers to staff who we believe can thrive in a flexible environment, both professionally and personally.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com